Public Health & Wellness
Community Health Needs Assessment (CHNA)
Section 9007 of the ACA revised the conditions that nonprofit hospitals must satisfy in order to qualify for federal tax-exempt status. In Rhode Island, all hospitals including for-profit participate in the CHNA.
The qualifying conditions include:
- A formal triennial CHNA process, whose purpose is to increase the relationship between the health needs experienced by communities and the community benefit investments made by nonprofit hospitals as a condition of tax exemption.
The CHNA process consists of two distinct phases:
- Phase One - a formal community health needs assessment
- Include input from persons who represent the broad interests of the community and those with expertise in public health
- Phase Two - an implementation strategy that
- Describes how the hospital is addressing the needs identified in each community health needs assessment
- Provide reasoning for needs not being addressed.
Read each hospital's Community Health Needs Assessment Report
Providence VA Medical Center
- Eleanor Slater Hospital
Click here to read the Statewide HARI 2022 Community Health Needs Assessment.